Camp Diary - Page 1

Friday 2nd May 2003

BALOO SETS OUT

The day started with Baloo (me) rising from my bed at around 8.30am, I started to pack my rucksack. About 10 minutes later I placed it by the front door and put with it my sleeping bag, spare hike tent, spare pegs (these will become a valuable item of equipment as you will see), cool boxes and ice packs, day rucksack, maps and other odds and ends.

Time for some breakfast (this is actually a bit of a luxury) and time to wash, dry and put away a weeks worth of dishes.

9.45am – Drove to Crewe Railway Station and purchased all the tickets that we required, the ticket lady kindly allowed me to buy them in three lots so that I had three separate receipts, although she was curious as to what I was planning on doing with all the tickets;

1 Adult Holyhead to Crewe (Open Return)
1 Adult, 3 Kids Crewe to Holyhead (Open Return) - Me, Andy, Rob, Kay
8 Kids Crewe to Holyhead (Open Return) - The 8 Lads

10.15am - I set off to see to my horse, his stable needed to be done in case the horse sitter needed to bring him in for a night if the weather turned bad (little did I know).

10.45am – Quick check with Alex to see where he was up to and then I was off, the journey to Holyhead was very pleasant, it was raining when I set off and it was still raining when I got to Holyhead 2 ½ hours later. One set of road works just before I got onto the A55 but other than that it was a trouble free drive, although I had to reluctantly turn my car headlights on from time to time (I say reluctantly because the radio was recently rewired and now when ever I turn the lights on it spontaneously turns the radio off and looses all the programmed radio stations.)
At Holyhead I found a long stay car park and attempt to buy my parking ticket but the machine refused to take my foreign (English) pound coins, (it kept spitting them back out at me). The car park was completely empty other than my car so I wrote a little note to the parking warden explaining that the ticket machine did not want to take my money off me and stuck it in the car window.

My 1.55pm train back to Crewe was already in the Station, a Virgin Express too London stopping at Bangor, Llandudno Junction, Rhyl, Prestatyn, Chester, Crewe and so on…The train was almost empty and I got a table to myself, I settled down with some music and spent the time writing information down to give too parents at Crewe Station. Upon arriving back at Crewe (4.00pm) I relaxed in the travellers lounge before wandering up to the main entrance to meet the lads. (Never had I been so relaxed and looking forward too a camp)

No comments:

Post a Comment